14 Oct 2012

AAARGH MY EYES, MY EYES

I think I went mad then...

My sculpting mojo has came back after few weeks break and I've been sculpting little by little for whole week. I managed to get some sculpts to a degree where I call them "finished", even though they look half done.

Before we even start, let me assure you the post title refers to cosmic horrors that lurk the deepest shadow of our unimportant planet and by no means refer to the quality of the sculpts themselves! :D

I'd like to start with my crypt (from and old post ) roof. As the sign was bad, I went to fix it. Firstly, I have put a rectangle of putty on the roof and wrote the letters in. I wouldn't have been myself if I wouldn't write SCOOT at my first attempt. I wasn't satisfied with result and I scrapped the sign off. So I made a thin sheet of puty and cut the letters out. They are cruder than I had imagined, so I've added bolts (you press a toothpick in PVA and press it where you want bolt to be - voila). They still have to be painted, but you can get the general idea.

If you look careful, I've also sculpted unrecognizable face on the triangle above the name. Yikes!

 Once it get painted, I am pretty sure it should've looked better than it did!


Next, I've finished a "conglomerate" lurker for Strange Aeons games. As I've wrote in the post I've linked at crypt, he is supposed to be an experimental clump of organs, that does bad things. He is now finished. Suckers on the tentacle are horribly bad, but I couldn't succeed with any better attempt.

Overall I am quite satisfied with how it turned out.
 Backside:

Next is Shantak, WIPs were shown in few posts, for example here. He was started as early as July. When I start working on miniature, I have high hopes, which slowly sunk lower. Then I come so low, I don't know how to proceed and miniature sits until I get enough courage to do something with it :P.

If you're familiar with Strange Aeons rules, he will be used as a "winged nightmare".



 As you can see, for the ease of painting, he can be detached from his base.


Then we got a random "conversion" of mantic legs, also a few months long project. Wanted a "bloater" zombie, got a fat lady. Still considered a WIP!




We move back to eldritch  abominations....a dimensional shambler this time. You can see its start in one of the linked posts above. The miniature should be on all fours, like a gorrila, because I've planned to make a "missing link" at first, an ape-like creature, yeti, sasquatch, big foot. Whatever you'd like to call it. The wire armature broke and I just went for the shambler. Somewhow I've managed to give him two elbows per arm, but hey, hes from another dimension and something humans have never seen before! I still think he is too humanly looking, as he is partly described as an "insect". This one has nothing "insecty" about him, but never mind the details! :P
I quite like how twisted "dead eyed rudiment of a head" looks. Needs legs done. I've disobeyed laws of physics and built him upside-down. I've learned a lesson and let me tell you, people start sculpting at legs for a reason!




I got more to show!

Next is a WIP of "blasphemous construct", a Frankenstein. He my first attempt at twisted wire for an armature. I twisted wire for his legs really good, but somehow failed while coating it. He is totally out of proportions. I need to redo his girly feet, but having one hand "normal" and other king-side was my intention. I also wanted to make his fake look angry at world, but it ended up being retarded. Now that I'm writing this, he actually has stylish hair, modern in 1920's!




I've also tried to sculpt her , but plans got ditched almost as soon as I've started. So I've decided I'll make a female Treshold operative, with a 2-handed sword. Don't ask about the weapons choice, I just felt like doing a sword! Because I can't get myself to do her legs right, I'll gave her a longer skirt. Not practicable when slashing monsters from nightmare, but with strange aeons, even skirts can work.



For the end, I've put aside six 25mm bases as a "side project". When I sculpt I tend to have some leftover putty. As I don't want it to go to waste, I do all sorts with it. At first, I just sculpted on, ruining my work (sculpted a hand, worked on another one and destroyed the first one when i grabbed a miniature, for example). Then I did smaller things. Now I am making sausages that I'm putting on a pile. When pile will grow enough, I'll call it a "swarm". Pretty clever, eh? 
 Another way to use leftover putty is to make a thin stripes of it. Those can then be used at sculpting of weapons (found that on the internet!), or whatever. Works as plasticard, but its thinner!



I am glad I could finally put a somewhat decent post on my blog and I hope you guys found it interesting. I understand the sculpts are not of commercial quality, but we can't expect I'll be on par with people that have more years of experience than I have sculpts started! It is a great fun, however and it is really nice to see something become out of nothing. The Formless thing I've sculpted and painted, for example, was a great fun to make and offers a special satisfaction when I play with it. Also, Strange Aeons has rules for monsters that are not too widely available, so sculpting my own is a nice practice that also ends up useful! Last but not least, when you work on abomination that "even pen and ink can't describe", how can you do wrong?

Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

8 comments:

  1. wow you have had the sculpting muse hit you. Great looking scratchbuild look forward to seeing these lurkers with paint added. The crypt signage looks much better mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, sure did. Even dug out a night gaunt I was sculpting but came to a dead end. Chopped the bad parts and I hope I can do it better this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice selction of sculpting going on! I like the "winged nightmare"!

    I tend to forget about left over putty, and I get loads of little odd shaped blobs all over the desk lol I might start using the "flatten out" theory and use them as weapons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Its not to use them "as" weapons, but I saw a tutorial on making weapons, where a guy has put flattened out rectangles and such on his crudely made "gun" to give it shape, if you know what I mean. And then, when you think about it, some thin strips are always needed, if you dont have anything better to do with that putty!

      Delete
  4. Lots of Wierd stuff here. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, but the weirdest are yet to be made! :P

      Delete
  5. Sure you're sculpting mojo come back in style!! Keep the good work!

    ReplyDelete